Wednesday, February 4, 2009

7 1/2 Habits

After watching the 7 1/2 habits presentation I am pretty sure that I would struggle the most with "viewing problems as challenges." I tend to give up on things pretty quickly if I discover that I may not be that good, or can't figure something out. I find that it takes a lot for me to really become disciplined and focused on doing something new. One example would be working out. I absolutely despise working out. About every couple of months I tell myself I will start to work out regularly and get into shape. However, once I actually start working out I realize how out of shape I am, and get discouraged. It's a vicious cycle because I know that to get into shape I need to be consistent, but I hate the process of getting into shape. Most likely, I need to find some sort of activity that is fun, and start to get into shape that way, like with kickboxing or something. If I enjoy it, I am much more likely to continue to do it.

The habit that I would probably be the best at would be that I accept responsibility for my own learning. I love to knit, and have taken it upon myself to get books and supplies in order to teach myself something new. I use the books to teach myself new stitches or cabling, or whatever. It is hard sometimes since I don't have an example set in front of me, but I really enjoy the end result, so I try to keep up with it. I also like to teach myself stuff through reading. In college I studied theology, so I am always trying to keep up with the changing thoughts and ideas in the theological world today. That means that I need to keep reading and trying to understand myself and others in order to be an effective theologian.

And, hopefully, through this process, I can learn how to use technology more effectively to continue to learn new things throughout my life.

1 comment:

  1. You're off to a great start! If you can teach yourself to knit, you can do anything:-) I also love that knitting is one of the few times in your life that you can make a horrible mistake completely disappear with the pull of a string:-)

    ReplyDelete